Center for Transformative Change
Practice Hall Rental
Thank you for your interest in renting the Practice Hall for your event(s). Below is important information that we ask everyone who wishes to use the Center for Transformative Change Practice Hall to read.
Center for Transformative Change is the physical home of the nationally-based organization Transformative Change. We endeavor to make our beautiful, free-standing Practice Hall available to as many as possible in the spirit of creating a viable space for community gathering, learning and advancement of transformation, wellbeing/healing and social justice and work that lies at the intersection of these areas. As an expression of our values and mission:
- We give priority to individuals and small, community-based organizations that have a focus on these areas.
- We give priority to people that work with, create opportunities for, and lift up historically and currently marginalized peoples and communities.
- We give priority to programs that intend to reach audiences that include people of diverse backgrounds, including racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual and gender orientations and expressions.
How to Apply
Read this information, then fill in the Practice Hall Inquiry Form towards the bottom of the page. For a confirmed reservation, we must receive the completed form and a 20% nonrefundable deposit.
Our rates minimally cover the costs of maintaining the space at a high level of care.
We are not well-suited for all types of events given that we are a living community and exist within a larger community of neighbors, thus we maintain the right to be selective.
- Sliding scale $40-65 per hour depending upon day of week, time and organizational budget (if applicable).
- Lower rates for half, full & multiple days.
- Special rates are available for very small nonprofits, co-hosted events and for CXC partner organizations.
- 20 – Circle/U-Shape
- 30 – Meeting
- 40 – Classroom
- 50 – Open Gathering
Equipment and Staff
NOTE: Arrangements for equipment and/or setup must be made with the Rental Coordinator in advance. This includes requests for equipment, number and placement of cushions and/or number and configuration of chairs. The Center staff does not operate equipment for groups. It is the responsibility of the group to have a trained person there to run the equipment.
- Cancellation Fee of one-third of the rental fee applies when renter fails to notify the Center’s Coordinator of cancellation at least two business days prior to the scheduled room rental date. This is in addition to the nonrefundable deposit.
- Room Cleanup Fee of $30.00 applies when the Center’s Coordinator needs to clean a room after a meeting, i.e. clean the floor, etc.
- Staff Assistance Fee. Generally speaking, rental of the Practice Hall is a self-service affair. The Center does not provide staff for your event other than answering questions if staff are in the office the day of the event. For any needs beyond this, there are additional fees of $25/hour for any staff member provided to your organization, if available and only by prearrangement.
Practice Hall Gallery
The Practice Hall is a sacred and valuable asset to our community. To ensure continued enjoyment of these facilities by all, everyone using them must adhere to the following guidelines.
- The Practice Hall was originally built in the style of a traditional Korean monastery meditation hall. It has been constructed in traditional ways and includes rice paper floors and shoji doors, which are very delicate and must be treated quite carefully. Therefore, there are no shoes permitted on the floor of the Practice Hall or the deck in front. There are no exceptions.
- The altar space may not be used without prior explicit permission.
- Any admission to be charged or donations to be collected or requested must be clearly communicated and agreed upon to remain in alignment with our overall values. Direct sales of items are also not permitted except by prearranged agreement.
- Smoking of any kind is not permitted by city ordinance.
- No beverages are allowed in the Practice Hall without a coaster underneath to protect the delicate floor.
- No meat, except fish, can be consumed inside the Practice Hall.
- We offer the Practice Hall in the spirit of “self serve” as much as possible. Please let us know what your needs are with as much advance notice as possible and we will do our best to accommodate you. And keep in mind that we have a small staff, so it is not practical or efficient for us to offer more than minimal assistance.
- The Practice Hall must be left in a neat, clean and orderly condition as it is presented. If these conditions are not met, a Room Cleanup Fee of $30 or the actual cost of cleaning, whichever is higher, will be charged and notice will be given to the group. Organizations holding meetings assume complete responsibility for any and all damage to rooms, contents or equipment used and will be charged for any necessary repairs or replacement.
- Mondays are our community’s day of Social Silence. This is an important practice of being in community for us. Overall, it means we keep our attention focused inward. As a result, we rent the Hall on Mondays with a higher degree of review. If you wish to rent the Practice Hall on a Monday please keep this in mind and we will let you know if we can accommodate the type of event you wish to hold.
- CXC is a residential practice community. We welcome your presence and support. And we ask you to help support us in respecting the community’s privacy.
To request information on the booking of the space please fill out the form below. Filling out the required items on the form best enables us to respond to your inquiry. We are not able to respond to generic inquiries so ask that you have considered the basic needs of your event before reaching out:
We have a small staff that has obligations, so ask that you fill out the form to be in contact so that we can make an appointment rather than simply dropping by.